15 September, 2010

Cattle Barns & Stables; Who Knew?!

I often wonder what the originators of the old Lake Forest estates would think of what has happened to their conceptions. SO many of the old homes are gone, but many of the service buildings still exist; converted into private homes, and now some very pricey real estate in their own right.

I am an avid cyclist, and over the years I have never tired of my Lake Dr. and Mayflower Road routes. One of my favorite conversions is the David Adler designed stables at 51 Mayflower Road. I remember vividly the day I first saw that tower, wondering to myself, "now what is that?!" This was years ago, and now this home has been renovated and restored, with a modern floor plan. There is of course all of the usual; a new chef's kitchen, updated baths, and updated mechanicals. I hear one of it's treasures is a study (in the tower) with a vaulted ceiling and murals by Nikolai Remisoff.



The house was on the market in June for $2,800,000.



Did I mention cattle barns? Another novelty:


the former cattle barn at what was once Meadowood Farm. This is quite off the beaten path for for me, (West of Waukegan) but if you should be shopping real estate this place is also on the market - for $1,799,000. I hear that the uniquely designed space is now quite livable. We would hope. There was actually a tour of some Meadowood cottages by the Lake Forest Preservation Foundation on September 12th, but I missed it.

No comments: